Thursday 18 January 2007

Where I live


This is a 3-dimensional collage I made of the street we live on (our building is to the right of the yellow cafe:) and gave to my husband for his birthday back in August. I've made a few of these and I call them my dioramas. When constructing them I am always reminded of being in primary school making dioramas of Where the Red Fern Grows as part of our book reports. After being completely devastated by the story (beloved dogs die in this novel folks, it's not for the faint of heart), my diorama contained only a little grave site - a solemn and minimalistic tribute to a beautifully sad book. If I remember correctly, my lack of vibrancy got me bad marks because teachers, as a rule, like cheery things. The lesson in this? Let us NEVER underestimate beautiful sadness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy looking at your collage. and I also enjoy a good cry sometimes. I find comfort in the occasional sadness. :-)

Anonymous said...

beautiful collage/diorama- what a great idea for a gift. It makes me think of a theatre set and I love the sound of your not-so-cheery school project.

Becks said...

I love where the Red Fern Grows. I guess that could be defined as a beautiful sadness cause I brought the pain upon myself when I read it over and over...I didn't care that it would wrench my heart out at the end every time. But it still made me happy. I also love dioramas. I made a diorama of Island of the Blue Dolphins when I was in the 4th grade.

Victoria said...

Beautiful 3-d collage. The photo has a slight air of beautful sadnesss about it too.