Thursday 21 August 2008

something a little different

I heart my life drawing class because....
each week the same man arrives late, full of energy and with pieces of bread sticking out of the breast pocket of his tweed waist coat.

The children's ballet class carries on next door, and heard through the walls is the pitter patter of pointed toes, piano music, and at least one little dancer in tears.

The young Asian guy always draws the models anima style so they become longer, leaner and undergo graphite breast augmentation. This is funny to watch, I try and sneak as many looks at his drawing board as I can without being too nosy.

The very old people in my class pull my heart strings with their faithful attendance, shaky hands, and slow movements. Also they draw better than everyone else put together.

And the brave beautiful models who take off their clothes each week and stand up there in front of everyone with NOTHING ON, 3 years of drawing nudes and I still can't get over this.

all the drawings here are by me from the last two weeks and were done in charcoal. Most poses were 10-20 minutes long.

For anybody in the Auckland area, this is the untutored life drawing class held each Thursday from 9:30 to 12:30 at the Ponsonby Community Centre. Attendance is casual, so there is no need to sign up. oh yeah, its only $10, which is the least I have ever ever ever paid for life drawing, and this is one of the BEST set ups I have experienced (and I have taken 5 different life drawing classes in 2 different countries). SO DO COME ALONG.



okay for those of you who are a bit over the nudes, here are some friendly faces!
'hi, we are in the shop' they sing out in harmony.

newly acquired, oh what will they become?

ALSO on monday I have a new thing for you, and you might just like it, so stay tuned!

-k

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yigh - that was a beautiful post about your drawing class - you transported me there with you

& your drawings are gorgeous.

x Helen

Anonymous said...

The other Helen got here first and stole my comment ;)

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Absoluuuuuuuudely beauuuuuudiful nudey drawings! Love it.

I've always wanted to be a nude modely type for drawing. I've done the photo thing a bit but man alive it was cold... and the thought of 20 minutes of each pose. Mmmm. I hope they have a heater in there!

kimberlee said...

ha, the two helens conundrum! its a race :)

A Sleepless Night (Standing) said...

Lovely Kimberlee, you are so very talented... I wish I had time for such pursuits! xx

p.s. I love how you keep your readers reading with your suspenseful "wait till monday.." hehe

My Happy Turtle said...

Looove your life drawings! Classes with the nudies were always my favorite. Mostly because I couldn't get over how brave you would have to be to do that. Plus, I could never sit completely still for that long.

Anonymous said...

wow kim those are really beautiful! you can draw a lot in 20 minutes. my life drawing classes were usually not so successful, i tend to draw things in outline and the teachers always get upset about this.

Jacoline said...

The drawings are beautiful, I wish i was in the Auckland area to join the club.

Marie Louise said...

Your post takes me back to the days I was an art student - your drawings are great!

Bronwyn Mason said...

Oh I wish I could go to the classes! Right place, wrong time.
Great sketches.